Thesis Update: Scenes 43-47

Another quick post with a few updated scenes. Gargantua is really fun to animate, he is so big and meaty. I’ll need to add more splashes and after some feedback from my instructor, I realize that I need to  update  that camera move so that it follows rather than anticipates the action.

Thesis update: Scenes 38-42

Since the summer semester at the Academy of Art University is double-time (with two modules per week rather than one), I am trying to blast through the remainder of my rough animation. There’s a total of 58 scenes in the film (I count it as a scene each time the camera direction changes) and as of now I’m up in the forties, hooray! Here’s…

Spring thesis update!

Just finished up an excellent spring semester.  Through a one-on-one directed study course with animator-extraordinaire Sam Fleming, I managed to knock out the rough animation for scenes 3-37. Incorporated new voiceover material from the multi-talented Alison Potoma as well as from my ever-patient, wonderful husband Nick (who provided the voices for two of the monsters here).     Here’s the latest version of the animatic –…

Effects: Splash

This one was daunting at first – it’s said that water is one of the most difficult things to animate effectively. However, once I found a method of attack (envisioning an ellipse in perspective, and a path for the overall form of the splash) it felt a lot more comfortable.

Effects: Vortex

This effect was one of the hardest for me to grasp – we studied vortexes, including water vortexes, tornados, fire whirls, etc. I do like the way this turned out, although my instructor pointed out that it has a sort of “spinning plates” feel to it.  Here’s a page of exploratory sketches: I almost chickened out in favor of a jellyfish animation, with little…

Effects: Wispy Smoke

This one is an exploratory version of a monster for my thesis: a smoking, hooker-esque fish. It’s based off a real animal, the red-lipped batfish (which does not, to my knowledge, actually smoke). I think the smoke’s going to have to go way slower, maybe need to inbetween all the frames here. Here are some of the sketches I made of the smoke from blown-out…

Demo Reel 2013

Quick post – I updated my demo reel! https://vimeo.com/80044825 There are some fx clips included that haven’t been shared before – I’ll try to get the exploratory designs for those posted within the next couple weeks.

Thesis Update: Animatic Revision

Another reworking of the animatic! This one’s close, I can feel it. Just a few more changes on the slate that haven’t yet been incorporated: – A title/opening scene aerial view of the town, with the camera slowly moving in – Camera move on bandstand scene, continuing the slow zoom from aerial view – Zoom on Gargantua (the biggest monster) as he walks out…

new website!

After letting my old blog languish for 6+ months, I finally got it together to revamp my website reuler.com and start it all back up again! I’ve got tons of stuff to post – assignments from the spring semester, personal projects (like illustrating my friend Alison’s awesome book, The Smith Family Secret!) and of course, updates on my MFA thesis. I’ve imported all of…

lip sync final project for Traditional Animation 2!

Sorry for the delay in posting! Here’s my final animation project -my first lip-sync attempt ever. The assignment was to take established characters and animate sound clips. I chose Foghorn Leghorn & Daffy Duck… the beaks were a challenge. Overall I probably worked on this for about 5 or 6 weeks from start to finish. I still have a few more things to work…